A Hard Election Choice

Your state governor is... Asa Hutchinson!
But did I really want that?




In comes me, Rhett Gentry, 21 year old Marine from a conservative household that voted for Jared Henderson. 
I didn't vote for Henderson because he wanted to raise the minimum wage. I didn't vote for him because he wanted to tackle the amount of incarcerations in Arkansas.  I didn't vote for him because he wanted to make ethics reforms because he believes our state Capitol is corrupt.
I voted for him because of education. 
While Asa Hutchinson campaigned to raise teachers starting salaries, that's not really what I want. I want classroom money to raise. I want to be able to teach my classes with all the support I need to ensure they will be properly educated. I want to buy books that build upon their education and are not just there to read and take standardized tests on. For my journalism kids, we need cameras, computers, and photoshop as well as other computer programs to teach the students journalism and graphic design.
I voted for Jared Henderson because I saw a future for our schools, where even in small towns like Blevins, AR, the student body where around 95% of the students live in households where they receive free or reduced lunches at school, the students will have the supplies they need and receive an education they deserve.
I don't believe its too late. While we may not have Jared, we can still write our letters to Asa urging our importance for the classrooms. He already wants to raise teachers wages, I'm sure he would take into consideration finding whatever ways possible to bring money into the schools to ensure proper funding of the classrooms. We just need to work together on this, and maybe then we can have classes where teachers are properly equipped and students can readily learn








Comments

Popular Posts